Fundamentals of Data Analytics for Social Impact Programs
Develop your career as a data analyst for social impact programs. You will learn how to develop mobile data collection tools and collect data using KoboToolbox, data cleaning, and data analysis using Microsoft Excel and IBM SPSS
10,000+ already enrolled
About this course
What if you could learn all the skills you need to start your career as a data analyst for social impact/humanitarian programs?
Now you can! This course introduces you to all the data analytics processes from data collection all the way to data analysis using the most popular tools: KoBo Toolbox, Excel and SPSS. The course is packed easy-to-follow video lessons, hands-on activities, and quizzes to cement the concepts in. To top it all, it’s FREE!
What you’ll learn
The course is divided into 5 module:
- The introduction module introduces you to the concept of data analytics. You will learn the definition and what’s involved in data analytics; the different types and processes in data analytics
- In module 2, you will learn how to develop mobile data collection tools using one of the most popular and free platform, KoboToolbox. You will develop a form, deploy it on mobile devices, collect data, send the data to the server and download it to be used for analysis
- Then, you will pick off from the data you have collected to clean it in Excel readying it for analyses
- In module 4, you will learn Microsoft Excel’s powerful data analytics features. In particular, you will learn how to use Excel tables to sort, filter and summarize data. Then, you will learn ow to use pivot tables and pivot chats to analyze and visualize data
- Finally in module 5, you will learn how to use SPSS for data analyses. You will start by importing data from Excel and editing variables. Then you will move on to summarize the data using frequencies and summary statistics. To finish it off, you will learn how to explore relationships between variables. Throughout the lessons, you will build charts that go together with the analyses mentioned.
Module 1: Introduction
- Course overview
- What is data analytics?
- Types of data analytics
- Data analytics processes
Module 2: Developing mobile data collection tools using Kobo Toolbox
- Introduction to mobile data collection
- Getting started with KoBo Toolbox
- Creating a project and adding questions
- Grouping questions
- Rosters and question referencing
- Calculated fields
- Validation logic
- Skip logic
- Deploying the form on mobile devices
- Data entry and uploading
- Accessing and downloading the data
Module 3: Data cleaning using Excel
- Introduction to data cleaning
- Data cleaning in Excel
Module 4: Data visualization and analysis using Excel
- Introduction to Excel for Data Analysis and Visualization
- Data amanagement in Excel using tables
- Data analysis using pivot tables
- Data visualization using pivot charts
Module 5: Data Analysis using SPSS
- Introduction to SPSS for data analysis
- Importing data and editing variables
- Univariate anaysis for categorical variables
- Univariate analysis for continuous variables
- Exploring relationships between scale and categorical variables
- Exploring relationships between 2 categorical variables
- Exploring relationships between 2 continuous variables
Data Analyst, Instructor
Alexander has over 8 years experience training social impact organizations in data analytics. He also has consulted for small and big organizations alike – developing data collection tools, building M and E systems and analyzing data. He is a 4.5/5-rated instructor on Udemy.com where he has several courses with a combined over 5,000 students. He also loves blogging and creating tutorial videos for the Data for Development YouTube channel.
Great and informing a good practice on data management, this has improved my skills in data analysis
The content and delivery of the course were amazing and the instructor was very eloquent and gave attention to detail
This course is very good. Presentation was so good and easy to follow.
Malani M. Nyirenda
Frequently asked questions
Does this course offer a certificate?
Yes. You will automatically get a certificate of completion as soon as you complete the course and pass the graded quizzes and project
How long will it take for me to complete the course?
We recommend investing 2 hours of learning per day. With that time investment, you will finish the course including the hands-on practices in 7 days.
Which days and times does the course run?
This course is self paced. Once you enroll, you can go through the learning content at any time, and at your own pace!
Will my access to the course expire?
No. Once you enroll, you have lifetime access to the course material.
Start as soon as you enroll
Approximately 7 days to complete
Suggested 2 hours per day
Enroll to get this and all our FREE courses